The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

How the new 35 credit rule affects Montclair High School students

Students received word in late August that the Montclair High School would be instilling a new 35-credit rule into the curriculum. This was a decision that some students dreaded, especially since rumors began circulating at the end of last school year. Nevertheless, students hurried to fill their schedules with enough classes to satisfy the new mandatory requirements.  

Many students, including myself, look forward to the breaks between classes to study, catch up with friends, and take a break from the stresses of school life. Other students don’t mind the extra workload and feel fulfilled by their increased schedules. 

“I think it is unfortunate.. It is our senior year and most of us have already completed all of our credits from last year. Instead of focusing on college applications or enjoying our senior year, we are stuck focusing on completing classes just to fill our schedules,” senior Logan Fullilove said. This opinion showcases how the system can be overwhelming for students, specifically seniors who need extra time for more valuable activities.

Another student, Grace Gibson, had a similar opinion. “I think it is annoying. We all already worked so hard to complete all our classes so that senior year we could have an easy schedule but now we’re stuck in classes we don’t care about,” Gibson said.

On the other hand, one counselor at the high school believes that the 35-credit rule has more advantages than disadvantages for students. “It was definitely an adjustment for everyone. At first, the kids were stressed and flooded the counselor’s office with questions and concerns. But then, after the first few weeks and as kids settled more into their classes, they eventually eased into it,” School Counselor Dana Labonia said.

“It definitely has its pros and cons. Kids can get on a good schedule, and it can benefit them to focus on school. For example, some students might need that break in their schedules,” Labonia said. This statement has a lot of value, considering it comes straight from the counselor’s office. However, I believe many students, especially this early in the year, feel uncomfortable complaining about their workload and may suffer in silence.

I have a unique perspective on the system because I am a MADE student, meaning I take two extra classes at Montclair State University in the afternoon and the 35 credits taken at the high school. Now, MADE students are usually required to take only 20 credits in addition to the classes at Montclair State.

However, with only 20 credits, I could not take the classes I wanted to take that could only be accommodated in the afternoons. The classes could impress colleges, considering I am in my senior year. Without taking 35 credits, I could have taken the classes I wanted but also filled my schedule with study halls to calm myself before my classes.

I have a full schedule with just one study hall until dismissal at 2:33 p.m. I have until 5:30 to prepare for my class at Montclair State that night. While this was my choice, I wish there was a better way to satisfy all my educational needs while maintaining security in my mental health.

I think that the school board should have considered how the 35 credit rule would have affected current Montclair students because most of the school population already has intense schedules. While the new system can help a lot of students get back on track or follow a schedule, I believe the majority of students could have used a break.

View Comments (2)