The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

PR stunt or true love? Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift burning a new romance

Taylor+Swift+and+Travis+Kelce+step+out+on+the+town+holding+hands.+Creator%3A+Gotham+%7C+Credit%3A+GC+Images+%7C+Copyright%3A+2023+Gotham+
Gotham 2023
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce step out on the town holding hands. Creator: Gotham | Credit: GC Images | Copyright: 2023 Gotham

Singer Taylor Swift was seen at a Chiefs football game, seemingly cheering for star player Travis Kelce on September 24, 2023. Since then, she’s been seen at almost every game and has caused a social media frenzy.

“The streamings for the games have been up 53%,” reported Boston.com on October 7th. Fans are questioning whether the coverage is too much and the relationship is being exploited.

The single pop star had recently finished the US Eras Tour and is considered one of the most popular female singers today. After her fresh breakup with Joe Alwyn, whom she dated for six years, fans were shocked at her fast-paced relationship life, and seeing her laughing with Kelce’s mother in a stadium booth was an unexpected collaboration. 

Travis Kelce has gained more Instagram followers from his new relationship with Swift than he has from his three Superbowl games combined. The articles and news coverage on the relationship between Swift and Kelce have been countless, with both football fans and Taylor Swift fans on the edge of their seats. However, not everyone thinks the coverage is a good thing.

“I don’t think it’s healthy. It’s like a parasocial relationship with these celebrities, even though they have billions of dollars and live on a different planet, and it gives them so much privilege, and it’s such a weird dynamic,” a senior at Montclair High School said.

“Kelce is considered to be one of the most in-demand athletes in America right now,” Variety.com said on October 7. The NFL appears to be capitalizing on the new relationship fast, changing its Instagram & TikTok bios to reference Taylor Swift, stating “9/24/23. Taylor was here.” The bios were quickly taken down after receiving some heat from football fans.

“Not hating, just saying the NFL is taking away from the game with all this BS,” one commented, “Happy for them, but I’m watching football.” Fans have been furious at the “exhausting coverage,” Variety.com wrote on October 7.

Swift was shown at least 17 times during the broadcast,” TheExpress.com wrote.

“I don’t consume a lot of sports, and I don’t think Swifties do either, so I don’t think it’s going to last that long, but it’s nice to see them collab.” said an MHS senior. Other students have a different opinion. 

“I think that Swifties are insane, and even though they don’t care about football, they just watch it because of the drama,” said MHS student Ellis Metzger.

“I think their relationship is cute. The publicity might be good for them because she [Swift] had just gotten out of a relationship that was really private. But, I do think the media coverage might be a little much. I think they are super cute but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was some PR stunt.” said MHS senior Sarah Lamonaca. 

The two have caused all of social media into such a frenzy that couples have dressed up as them for Halloween. Additionally, it was released that even Selena Gomez, Swift’s long-time friend, has been concerned about the increased public viewing and is worried they might be moving too fast. Swift fans seem to be incredibly invested and support their new relationship, while NFL fans feel a bit more conflicted. 

Despite all the mixed opinions, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce seem to be thriving. Kelce has become one of the most popular athletes in the country, while Swift’s new concert film was released a day early due to all the press it was getting. She recently released her new album “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” and the same day became officially a billionaire. 

She has still been going to his games since her first sighting, and the NFL has still been showing her frequently throughout the games. Additionally, Travis Kelce has been seen at her international Eras Tour. Swift changed one of the lyrics of her song, “Karma,” while singing live from “Karma is the guy on the screen, coming straight home to me,” to “Karma is the guy on the Chiefs, coming straight home to me.”

View Comments (2)