The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What happened to Tommy DeVito? Did the hype get to him?

Tommy DeVito walks off the field following his 24-6 loss against the New Orleans Saints.

New York Giants quarterback Tommy DeVito had taken over the state of New Jersey as he led the team back into the playoff picture throughout December. Social media platforms and their users from New Jersey were going crazy for the quarterback because of his exciting athletic abilities and his Italian lifestyle. New York Giants fans had never been so excited about a player’s potential since teammates Saquan Barkley and Daniel Jones in 2019! Despite DeVito’s mafia and the Giant’s season over, the quarterback finished the season on the bench with a 6-11 record. Does it leave you wondering: Did the hype for such a young quarterback get to him?

Tommy DeVito took the league by surprise!

The New Jersey-born quarterback showed the National Football League his undeniable talent throughout his time as a starter. DeVito led the Giants to three consecutive victories against the Washington Commanders, New England Patriots, and Green Bay Packers in December, throwing for five touchdowns and over 590 yards, bringing them to a reasonable 5-8 record!

The rookie quarterback shocked the fans, bringing the team back into the playoff picture. Fans initially questioned his ability because of his inexperience in the National Football League, but they quickly changed their outlook on the player and fell in love with him. The New Jerseyians believed Tommy DeVito was the solution to the Giant’s offensive struggles they experienced all season and would lead the team to the playoffs in January. 

Fans were impressed with his ability to escape high-pressure situations and avoid sacks despite the Giant’s offensive line situations this season. Montclair High School junior and lifelong New York Giants fan Gabe Davis was particularly impressed by DeVito’s performance against the Green Bay Packers. “Throughout the season, the Giants offensive line was plagued by injuries, but he proved that wasn’t an issue because he wasn’t taken down once against the Packers.” Davis was also impressed with his ability to use his feet and escape the pressure of the defense. “DeVito was great at escaping the pocket and throwing on the run to receivers such as Darius Slayton, Wan’Dale Robinson, and Jalin Hyatt.”

Giants fans were incredibly pleased by how quickly the young quarterback took control of the team’s offense in a matter of weeks. Davis was shocked by his impact on the team in such a short period of time. “I didn’t expect an undrafted free agent to take control of the Giants offense like he did.”

Tommy DeVito continued to impress the league and the state of New Jersey, as he was named NFC Offensive Player for Week 14 following his big 24-22 home win against the Green Bay Packers. Social media began to spread the word about his playing ability and winning streak.

Instagram, X, and TikTok accounts were going crazy for DeVito. He took social media by storm with his Italian background, ranking the traditional Italian foods along with his playing abilities. His signature Italian celebration became the headline of the NFL’s Instagram page.

Fans tweeted about DeVito’s brilliance, calling the quarterback “irreplaceable” and “the future of the New York Giants.” Tommy DeVito looked set to become the starting quarterback for the New York Giants for years to come!

What went wrong? 

DeVito looked to continue their winning streak in the team’s Week 15 matchup against the New Orleans Saints away from home. However, the quarterback undoubtedly produced his worst performance of the season, completing 20 out of 34 passes for 177 yards in a devastating 24-6 loss. The Giants staff were unimpressed with his performance, and DeVito was benched for the rest of the season. Tyrod Taylor, the second-string quarterback, became the favored quarterback for the rest of the season, leading the team to one win in the last three games. 

As DeVito’s tenure with the team came to an end, the hype surrounding him also faded away. Fans criticized his playing abilities because of his uninspiring performance against the New Orleans Saints. Social media platforms began to show little interest in DeVito because he was not playing well. All the negatives led fans to wonder: did the hype surrounding him become too much to handle?

Was it the team?

Josh Solomon, a Montclair High School 2023 graduate and a huge Giants fan, believed the team was not responsible for DeVito’s demotion. “He came in because the team was struggling and because Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor were both injured,” Solomon stated. 

Although DeVito brought light to a struggling Giants team, he failed “to give the Giants motivation,” in the words of Solomon. The quarterback struggled to fire up the team during his winning streak, often showing a lack of affection toward the Giant’s defense.

Realistically, if a quarterback struggles to motivate an underachieving Giant’s team, it isn’t the team’s nor the staff’s fault.

Was it the hype? 

“Definitely, the pressure and the hype got to him,” Solomon claimed. 

It was inevitable that DeVito would succumb to the pressure sooner rather than later. He entered the league as an average college quarterback with little experience in the National Football League who didn’t anticipate playing in the regular season. 

“The players are people too, and I’m sure the fan’s support and outrage get to them,” emphasized Solomon. 

Crumbling under pressure from fan’s excitement and hype is part of the great game of American football. In DeVito’s defense, many players in the league’s history have struggled to live up to their high expectations because of the pressure placed on them. 

What does the future hold for DeVito?

Tommy DeVito proved to the National Football League and the fans that he is a talented young player with a bright future ahead of him. Beginning the season as a third-string quarterback and then being named the starting quarterback is not something you hear of often.

The Giants could potentially promote DeVito to the backup quarterback role behind Daniel Jones during the off-season. That said, teams around the league have the same idea as the Giants and may try to sign DeVito as a backup quarterback to expose him to the field frequently. 

Wherever Tommy DeVito ends up playing football next season, fans won’t forget about his story as a New York Giant.