The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Montclair State University corners the community with Bloomfield College merger

Montclair State University announced their merger with Bloomfield College on June 5.

This past July, Montclair State University’s temporary partnership with Bloomfield College was made permanent. Montclair State University, a larger public university, had taken on Bloomfield College for the previous school year after school officials emphasized threatening financial problems exacerbated by declining enrollment, and that it would be closing if a donor or partner was not available by the 2022-2023 school year. 

In the spring of 2022, Montclair State stepped in to offer Bloomfield College a specialized loan that kept them afloat before the permanent partnership could be secured. The plan included $5 million of state funding authorized by Governor Phil Murphy.

The merger offers lower tuition fees, expanded student life, and more academic opportunities for the constituent college, now Bloomfield College of Montclair State University. Students will continue to take classes at the Bloomfield campus unless authorized to go to Montclair, and some will be able to transfer to Montclair for their last two years. For a student to transfer to Montclair State they must have the minimum GPA required for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Fine Arts programs of study.

The revitalized Bloomfield College will maintain all 13 of its NCAA Division II athletic programs under the team name “Bears” and most of its curriculum. The president, Marcheta Evans, has kept her position. Bergen Community College is currently ranked as number one in the state of New Jersey for associate degree graduates.

In a press release, Montclair State President Koppell said, “Our partnership with Bergen Community College is one step further in the University’s mission to facilitate a seamless transfer process that removes barriers many students encounter on their journey to earn a bachelor’s degree.” 

The merger comes with great relief to underrepresented communities who make up the majority of Bloomfield College. The school is recognized as the only 4-year predominantly Black, Hispanic, and minority-serving institution in New Jersey. Its closing would have dismayed many who applaud its 153-years history of serving students of disadvantaged backgrounds.