MSN: Girls’ Fencing Season Recap

The Montclair High School’s Girls’ Fencing Team worked hard this season, finishing with a record of 8-2 and performing the strongest they have since the 2020 season. 

This is in part due to two new freshman additions to the team, Mya Spears (went 26-4 this season) and Constance Brody (16-10), both of whom hold the highest records of their respective weapons. Additionally, sophomore Nile Brunson extended her record from last year with a final win-to-loss ratio of 25-3. 

A lot of the team’s success this year was solidified by the performance of the sabre squad, finishing 1st out of over 50 schools at the annual Santelli’s tournament. The new addition of Spears as well as the consistent strength of sophomores Sela Feig and Gabriela Kaplan, were a source of confidence for the team— hardworking and reliable, Kaplan, Feig, and Spears assisted in many victories throughout the season, including an intense 14:13 win against longtime rival Columbia High.

The epee squad has also seen growth throughout the season; with Brunson’s lead and Cecilia Martinez’s 15-9 record— the squad has seen steady improvement. Additionally, up-and-coming sophomore Zoe Moon finished with an 8-4 record, setting up the squad to continue to advance next season

At state districts, the Girl’s team placed 3rd overall— qualifying for the top 16 in the state. However, with a tough loss against Governor Livingston, they were unable to make it to the top 8. 

Having made it to the team state championships with an almost entirely underclassmen varsity team, the team has hopes to get even further next year.